Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Mindset

The morning of January 1, 2014 was similar to previous years. The air was still filled with firecracker smoke/residue from the evening revelry. It was a bit chilly and it was quiet with cars on a street you can only count with fingers in one hand.

In the midst of the quiet, smoky background, there I was huffing and puffing on the last kilometer of my first workout for 2014. It was a bike-run brick. Already done with a 31km ride around the metro, I was fighting the urge to stop 3/4 way at that 5km run. It wasn't race pace as I was just a tad below 7:00/km. That 5km is on my regular route, with the last km a continuous long climb to the finish.

The temptation to stop was all too familiar. It's alright to walk since there'll be more workouts coming, I said to myself. But then I recalled how I slowed to a walk in my last duathlon in Subic, succumbing to a slow 38mins on that 5km run2. This thought changed the plan to drop this morning's run.

I became determined to finish the 5k run without walking. I concentrated on my breathing, inhaling as much oxygen from the mouth and exhaling thru my nose while I kept my stride in check, however slow my pace was (6:55/km).

At the end of 34+ minutes, the 5k run of the brick ended. It wasn't a PR obviously, but what I took from that workout is that I STILL have the will to fight off walking if I set my mind to it.

It was a good workout to kick start 2014.

Lose the unwanted pounds.

Build a solid base.

Don't register for races unless you're absolutely ready.

And, lastly, race like my life dependent on it.

Here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment