Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Maffetone after 89 kilometers

Except for Run United 2 where I ran the 21k event, all my runs since Aug13 have been set below the Maffetone pace for my age (180-37 = 143). Forgive me for my nerdiness, but below is a summarized table of those runs:

As obviously pointed out in the Maffetone training method, this type of training will have you eat your ego. That is, those "back of the pack" runners will seem to be faster than you as you try to keep your HR below the prescribed Maff pace, especially in uphills. I had to swallow a lot of pride, especially in my 20km long run last Sunday, when I wanted to speed up but my beeping GF305 won't let me to. I had to stay below the 143 HR. I finished the run in 2:53.

My aerobic capacity needs a lot of work, especially in the longer distances. Based on the above, it seems that my aerobic capacity is primed only up to around 8k. Beyond that, I have to tap into my anaeraobic tank which does not last for long. What I like about this method is that it's relaxing and less injury prone because of the slow pace. I just need to keep my running form in check from time to time.

I'll give this thing until end of September before I inject back my other workouts (intervals & tempo runs) as I think I'm ready to climb the urban Everest again ---all 42.195kms of it. The dream of finishing sub-5 hours is there for the taking.

The QCIM full marathon this December awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment