Tuesday, May 3, 2016

10k Race Review: Borneo International Marathon


The good:

  1. Flat and fast course good for breaking PRs
  2. Organized registration (online and on site)
  3. Scenic race route by the sea
  4. Bus service (RM30) provided from and to the race venue at designated pickup/dropoff sites
  5. Brooks shirt included

For improvement:

  1. Inaccurate distance. Garmin GPS recorded my 10k race as only 9.6km
  2. Only water was given to the 10k finishers. Energy drink distributors were instructed to provide to 21k and 42k participants only



My Race:

The race setting was beautiful with a PR for the taking. The problem was me, as usual, as I lacked the speedwork and tempo runs to really prepare for this. Not to make excuses, but I was coming off from being sick several weeks prior which affected my then already improving CTL progress. Thus a PR was not in the books if I looked at my depressing training logs.

I approached the race with caution, aiming for a constant 6:30/km pace. In a nutshell, I started of well but faltered by km8, 9 and 10 (or 9.6k if you will). Finished the race in 1:04+ with 9.6km logged. Feeling "bleh!" was an understatement as I crossed the finish.



With the Duaman duathlon coming up in less than 3 weeks, I will need a lot of work from here 'til then.

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment