Sunday, September 6, 2015

Review: Nike Free 5.0 (2014)

pic grabbed from www.vulcan100.com
I've been running in the Nike Free 5.0 (2014 version) since early this year, replacing my trusty Brooks Pureflow for my easy and long runs. I bought in on discount in one of those Nike outlet stores located in Caltex, NLEX and I am greatly satisfied so far with the purchase since then.

Runningwarehouse.com measures the stack height as 23mm (heel) and 15mm (forefoot) which gives an 8mm heel to forefoot difference ---which rightly complies to my minimalist running style. The D-width size gives enough wiggle room for my forefoot area. Mix it with the Dynamic Flywire technology to secure the foot, it provided a totally balanced, comfortable fit.

On the run itself, the shoe lives up to its name as I felt great running "free." The snug fit of the upper and the special design of the sole (which Nike terms as Hexagonal Flex Pattern) allows "free" movement of the foot as it goes thru the entire cycle of my running gait (midfoot strike......I think).

Overall, this is a very comfortable shoe that I think is good for easy paced runs ---including long runs. I used this in my last race (14.7km Class of Clans race) with the intention to "just finish it." Pace was relaxed which the shoe helped by making me forget about it and just run easy...and free. You can boost the speed if needed but I think its barefoot brother, the Nike Free 3.0, would be more up to the task when it comes to really increasing the tempo.

As it is already 2015, I can see the updated version of the Nike Free 5.0 in the stores which I think attests to the many runners who've been satisfied with its performance. I hope they continue this line as I will definitely get the latest version once I wear out my current pair (which is a loooooong way to go with the way my runs are lacking lately).

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment