Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DOMS

The day after the Rexona Run when I ran 21k after a long long while, I woke up to aches all over my body.

Every. Little. Bit.

Pain.

It was coupled with fever that reached 38C+. It was not a good day to have fever and body aches as it was my birthday that Monday.

It was a time spent with Mr. DOMS.

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

First time to have experienced this. Primary cause based on my training logs is the lack of conditioning prior to my 21k race. The longest I ran weeks prior was 14.7km only. For a half-marathon, long runs of 16 to 18km are most ideal.

It took me several days before I could exercise again: bike. I only started running today with a measly 3km on the treadmill.

I've definitely learned my lesson here so I'll slowly build up my runs from hereon and not force myself to race longer than 10k if the training logs prove insufficient.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment